Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Movie Review: Hostel

I saw Hostel a few days ago. Despite poor reviews, I thought I'd give it a chance.
The first third is filled with 20-something male humor, a little plot development, and LOTS OF TITTIES. Seriously, though, there are more full boob shots in this movie than any other rated-R movie I have ever seen or heard about. Okay, now I'll leave the 14-year-old inside me behind for a few minutes.
I actually laughed a lot during the first third or so of the movie. Not at any bad acting, poorly simulated gore, or anything of that nature. It actually is pretty funny. The writing is clever and the lines are well-delivered for the most part.
About half-way through the movie, you can tell it is heading for a fucked up destination. The scenes no longer have any humor, the suspense builds up, characters start disappearing mysteriously. Although the majority of the movie is not especially grotesque or fucked up, I can tell you honestly that it makes up for it with a select few scenes. It's not anything vomit-inducing, but it's pretty fucking disgusting.
I read one review in which the writer said that Eli Roth wrote himself into a hole and just barely managed to get out, or something along those lines. I didn't find this to be true. At no point during the movie did I find myself bored or uninterested. I thought the ending was good, despite having the usual end-of-the-movie coincidences where you find yourself thinking "That would never happen in real life." Almost every movie has those, so it's not something I would hold against Hostel. Also, the whole concept for the movie is something that I'd never heard of before. It's not the scariest movie I've ever seen, by far; it is, however, something realistic, which makes the viewer realize that it actually could happen. For me, that makes it a lot scarier than any supernatural or sci-fi thriller or anything of that sort. I'm not sure if I'd recommend paying exorbitant movie prices to go see Hostel, but I'd definitely recommend seeing it at some point.

Overall Rating for Hostel: B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home