Saturday, November 12, 2005

Unexpected Turn of Events

I don't think it's particularly interesting to document a night in a "We did this, then we did this, then we did this" manner, but bear with me. Last night started off shitty, got shittier, and then all of a sudden was just so awesome and fun that I feel the need to write it down.


Friday nights are presumably one of the two wildest nights of the week in terms of parties (the other being Saturday in most cases). I would assume this is true just about anywhere. Last night, a Friday, was not looking very promising for us though. It was almost 10 p.m. and we were still sitting around in our common room trying to figure out what the fuck we were going to do with the night. We finally hear about a party and head downtown.
We get to this party and it seems to be pretty average. After finally getting a beer, though, I realize that there's something a little odd about the beer. The taste is slightly off. It tastes almost like someone dropped a coin in your cup after you take a swig. It has that metallic aftertaste...hard to describe, but maybe you know what I mean. At any rate, it was disgusting.
I couldn't even down more than 4 or 5 beers before both kegs were kicked. This seemed to be true with the rest of the group as well. Our quest to get drunk clearly couldn't be accomplished there, so we headed out pretty quickly.
"Free Beer at [Generic Frat]! And Lots of It!" Those words were brought up via a cell phone call, and my eyes light up. Free drinks? I'm there. What sounds too good to be true usually is, I guess. These plans fell through completely. Our supposed "inside frat guy" was nowhere to be found. It's now somewhere around midnight and I am nowhere near drunk. This fact could be looked past if I was having a good time, but like everyone else, I was not. Walking around Oneonta in 30 degree weather without any alcohol armor to keep me warm, dead sober, with no plans on a Friday night is not my (or anyone's) idea of a good time. Going to the bars isn't even an option because those of us who are 21 are dead broke. I guess going to the bars every night isn't a good idea if you want to have money.
Anyway, Will ends up getting the OK to get some money out of the bank. This eases some tension, as with this newfound money, at least we can get drunk for sure. Our dreams are once again quickly crushed when Will realizes he has lost his ATM card. Not good. That situation had the opposite effect on the night that we wanted. We make a split-second decision to go to a local pizza joint to get pizza and pitchers.
This turns out to be the best decision ever. Somehow pitchers just keep coming to our table (Thanks, in most part, to Bootstrap, Justin, Sexy Rachel, and Sexy Mary. You guys are great). For no real reason, we hardly stopped laughing the whole night. Boot starts laughing with his crazy laugh (which was replicated by various tables throughout the night), Justin starts laughing at Boot, and before you know it we are all in stitches. It's hard to describe what was actually going on, but we were in an uproar for the majority of the night. Just due to our laughing, we caused four tables of people to get up and leave the restaurant, and the Oneonta Police showed up (the latter may have been purely coincidental...I like to think it was because of our laughter though). The owner of the restaurant actually cut us off towards the end of the night. In reality, we really still weren't that drunk. We were just having such a good time that we couldn't stop laughing. My whole body still hurts as I write this the next day. I really have never laughed so hard in my life, and I have it all on my voice recorder.
This story turned out to be much longer than I expected it to be. In fact, now that I have read it over, it probably isn't nearly as funny if you don't know me or the people mentioned. Oh well.
Moral of the story: Any night can be turned awesome with the right attitude.

1 Comments:

At 11/14/2005 5:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Inspiring stuff, I need to hear that Boots laugh

 

Post a Comment

<< Home